When God Seems Distant



When God Seems Distant

Did you know God loves you even when you are not perfect, lost, lonely, fearful, or sad? Although sometimes we do not feel like he cares, and His lovely Holy Spirit appears miles away, please understand that God is continually there. He is waiting for us to reach out to Him for help in times of need.
One thing I have learned over the years, from my own experience, is that we must always trust that he knows our situation. He is there for protection when we are fearful, provides wisdom when we need guidance, and love and companionship when we are lonely. One of my favorite scriptures reminds me of His promises:
Psalms 23:1-3 (KJV) The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3  He restoreth my soul:
I gain peace within myself through reading His words in the Bible. The words become alive as I read, offering me comfort and companionship as I immerse myself into its stories, parables, and words of hope.  Like a good book, its heroines, heroes, and villains cause me to forget about my problems, while its uplifting psalms build faith within me in times of unsureness.
His wonderful Holy Spirit supplies comfort, wisdom, and knowledgeable directions. In times of prayer and meditation upon God's word, He replaces delights in my heart when nothing remains to hope for, and the old dreams I once treasured are long gone and forgotten.
Always try to remember that His perfect love and grace is with you. When you experience feelings of distance from Him, and your thoughts say to you, "I am unworthy of his love and help," don't listen. Find His word and let it build you up within your spirit and heart.
One of my favorite poems, which I would like to share with you, reminds me of his precious love. I received the poem many years ago through an anonymous email; however, still, I hold its reassuring message close to my heart.

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."
Mary Stevenson
When God Seems Distant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Awesomeness of God

A Love Beyond Our Understanding